Saturday, October 28, 2006

Centennial Exhibition of Nobel Prize

There is a centennial exhibition of the Nobel Prize at the University Hall in NUS. Because I was a bit cock-eyed, I didn't see the banners and phamplets around in school and only noticed this small board on a pole stuck in the ground (you get what I mean) asking people to "stop here for exhibition". Anyway walking back from science after lecture, I decided to go in for a look and ended up staying there for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Barely 20 minutes into the whole thing, a girl/lady came up to me and asked if I am a NUS student. When I replied that I am, she said that she's a reporter from campusobserver, a student initiated, NUS online magazine. I saw its posters all over the place, but never quite knew what it was until she told me. And I can't remember the URL of the website. Anyway she interviewed me and I was quite blur, stuttered a lot (this from an arts student). She got me when I was like halfway into the exhibition, JUST BEFORE I entered the most interesting section and where I learnt the most. What a waste, I could have said a lot of wonderful stuff. Apparently I should be quoted on the magazine. I found it a bit odd that she didn't guide me to one side so that she could ask her questions, but instead asked where we were standing, which was right in front of models of items and was kind of blocking others.

I really learnt a lot from the exhibition, like how the nobel prize came about - Alfred Nobel in his will, left much of his wealth to set up this prize. Didn't know that different institutions chose who to give the awards to. There was also this section on the speeches that Nobel laureates in the past gave when they were awarded the prize so I heard Martin Luther King Jr. 's voice, Toni Morrison's and Albert Einstein's voice. There were also theaterettes where videos of past winners were shown. And there was this odd laundry hanging thing where banners of (many many) nobel laureates were hung from, and the banners would move and rotate. It reminded me of those laundry shops where the clothes were already washed and are placed there awaiting pick-up.

In any case, visit this website and look at the prizes awarded this year. Or if you are interested, you can head down to the Lee Kong Chian Atrium at University Hall in NUS to look at the exhibits. It's open till 24th January 2007.

Mondays to Saturdays: 11am - 8pm
Fridays: 11am to 6pm
Sundays and Public Holidays: Closed

Or visit this website for a glimpse of the exhibition and more details.

Just realized because I'm a NUS student, I get free admittance. =D No wonder SH asked how I got in and if I sneaked in. I suppose I'm so small sized that I could have sneaked in, but there weren't a lot of people...

Oh and there was this group of students in green uniform there apparently to tour the exhibits, but it seemed as if they were more interested in the exhibits of soft drink cans outside the Atrium in the vending machine than what was shown in the exhibition itself.

And there were these tiny wooden models of the rooms in the institutions in which people who chose the laureates sat and discussed. The models were so pretty and cute I felt like growing smaller just to go in and take a look. I also saw a cleaning lady taking out her handphone to take a picture of one of the models. =D

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home