Thursday, October 19, 2006

Racial issues

I skipped school again today. That's erm... don't know how many lessons I skipped. Guess I have been feeling rebellious this semester. I've been skipping a lot of lessons recently, all lectures of course. In fact, I skipped more lessons in this semester than I did for the last x number of years I've been studying. Oh and I've been getting increasingly flabby. Don't know if there's increase in weight, though. For those who don't know, I've been trying to put on weight for some time. Putting on weight is weird. Knowing that I can now pinch the flesh of my stomach without only pinching the skin is odd. Feeling my shorts tighten against me as I sit down is even worse.

I feel like I need to lose weight.

----------------------------
Yesterday during psychology statistics lecture, lecturer asked for an example which should be highly correlated with IQ. He directed the question at a girl and the girl replied after a while,

"Race."

The whole LT kind of giggled, but I couldn't really bring myself to. Lecturer replied that the issue's kind of sensitive while smiling. To me, the issue isn't funny at all. It is like discrimination in progress already, to judge a person's IQ based on his/her race/ethnicity. In order for her to mention that idea on the very first try suggests how much of it is ingrained in her. At age 20 or older, how could she make such a comment? Does she not know that there is no such relationship between a person's race and IQ and that to have suggested these two are highly correlated is absurd.

I don't know if I'm overreacting to this incident but it really irks me. Plus that the whole LT giggled. Ok, so maybe if they didn't giggle the atomosphere might have been scary, but I expected the lecturer to correct that concept. Instead he only said "How so?... Ok, don't say, this issue is sensitive," then he giggled too. Does he also believe that members of other races are not as smart as some others?

I think PM Lee said something about this issue too. If I'm not wrong, his words portrayed that he is not exactly, pardon me, non-racial discriminating. My impression only, you all can go find out his speech yourself. I can't remember where.

I really don't like it at all.

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home