Sunday, November 05, 2006

Teenage pregnancy

There is a girl in my psychology group who is pregnant. Last week she gave birth. How did we know? Because she came to class with a much flatter stomach. I thought I didn't see her in one of the psychology lectures prior to that. She must have been still in hospital then. Hmm, considering the amount of time between her giving birth and me next seeing her, she should have been in confinement or resting. Why did she come for lessons?

1) No such thing as confinement among the young generation now
2) She feels bored staying at home/hospital
3) There is a pscyhology project presentation on that day (she's in my class and this reason is the most valid).

Now then I realize I've been watching her stomach grow for the 3 past months. The first time I saw her I was wondering if she was just fat. It was a few weeks later that I realized she was pregnant and now that I think back, her stomach had really grown obviously bigger during this period of time. As I watched her on the day of our tutorial, I wondered how much pain she must have endured to give birth. I wondered if she went for natural birth or ceaserian. I wondered what has she learnt, gained or lost during this period of time. What about after this? What is she doing now? Is she nursing her child? Who is the father? What happened to him? Are they together? What about her family? How was she like in the past and how is she like now? How different? How similar? Does she talk to the baby when it was still inside her? Is she happy that now she can try to fit into her old clothes?
So many questions.

When I first pointed out to my friend who sits besides me during lectures that the girl is pregnant, he commented that she's silly. I thought she was brave because she chose to keep the baby and still came to school. Can you imagine all the stares you have to endure everyday when you walk around, travel on transport?

Then LY and I had a discussion as well on what we would do if we were her. She said that she would abort, I said I wouldn't. A lot of disagreements, but we both agreed that it's best if we just don't land ourselves in that situation.

The moral of the story? Practice safe sex. But how safe can safe be?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

2 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember the conversation we had was like super long ago? this reminds me. when are we ever going to meet up again? haha.
if im not wrong, he told me that he has a tutorial mate whos pregnant and the girl's in fass. so i guess its the same girl huh. anyway, the girl's married if we are talking about the same person. she got married in may/june/july this year. haha. oh. ive another friend whose cousin just gave birth as well. and the couple's merely 19 years old. so yah. i guess this is becoming more and more common huh.

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's married? hmm, looks like a shot-gun marriage then. Common, but not a good thing.

yar, don't know when we're going to meet again... sian, sem coming to an end lor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home