Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Another musical instrument in the house

As I've mentioned before, my brother's learning the erhu from his school's Chinese Orchestra (CO). Today he brought home the higher pitched instrument of erhu, called gaohu or something, to practice. So just now I heard something squeaking in his room and quickly ran over to see what it was. Ended up sitting there and learning how to play it.

DK says that it's easier to play the erhu than the recorder but I still think that a string instrument is more difficult. However I can't compare anything this time round because I tried out the gaohu. My brother says that the gaohu is usually for more professional players and it's apparently more difficult to play. No, my brother isn't very professional - he's only started learning 2 days ago, but he brought this home instead of the erhu because his the CO room was closed or something. =)

After a while of playing I can tell that there are a lot of skills to playing it, not just a simple affair of pressing and pulling bow. It's just like any other musical instrument, needs practice and more practice to perfect. But it is very fun, I like. =) I think I'll take up learning erhu/gaohu /whatever-hu. He was asking me what letter is "do, re, mi". First time he ever asked me anything related to music. I suspect he might have a little bit of musical talent in him after watching him play just now although he still can't hold the recorder properly. At least he can tell when the note's out of tune and he can actually play for a while without squeaking.

He's squeaking away in the next room right now, together with my little sister.

I guess this answers my question, huh? =)

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home