Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Theatreidols Finals 2007

Remember this Theatreidol thing I blogged about not too long ago?

On Monday I went to watch it with a friend. Benison couldn't make it at the last minute, but luckily YZ could, so we met at Esplanade. She looked kind of formal in that office wear, a bit weird because I was in uh not-so-nice wear.
Anyway the show was marvellous. I haven't really been to plays before, not to say any dramatized readings. The first time I watched a play was in my seconday school days when we watched Macbeth at Victoria Theatre. Not much of an impression. But this, even the dramatized readings itself, were fantastic! I'm glad I didn't give it a miss and I hope YZ enjoyed it as much.

Chong Tze Chien's On Sundays the Kites Come Out to Play is plain funny, quite down-to-earth with a twist within it. It started with a house party/baby shower with some close friends which looked pretty good at first, until the baby said his first word - fuck. Then things went downwards from there. Various themes were explored, like families (a different sort), love, marriage, homosexuality. Things ended nicely in the end and since things started because of the baby's first word, of course it had to end with the baby's first word.

Hitting (on) Women by Ovidia Yu, however, was vastly different. Dark, it was unlike the other play. What I really really liked about this play was the way things were intricately woven together. You start off not knowing anything, then they feed you parts of the story and you form an opinion. You initially think that the play is about lesbianism and a woman's story about it, then all of a sudden with the woman's single line, it hits you that it's all about abuse. A lover's physical abuse, sexual abuse and emotional abuse. I thought this play was really awesome.

During the SMS voting, YZ went with On Sundays the Kites Come Out to Play while I was very undecided. Each play was so good, interesting, funny, sad all at once and so very different that I couldn't decide. At that time I voted the same as YZ, but after a couple of days of consideration, I think I prefer Ovidia Yu's play, by a slight margin.

The voting results for each play, however, were far from differing by a slight margin. Odivia Yu's Hitting (on) Women won with a percentage of 60+%, close to 70% of votes. So I guess the veteran won. The play will be given a full staging by Action Theatre.

So after the exciting night ended 2.5 hours later at 10.30pm (longer than a normal concert), both of us headed home. Hope YZ coped well with barely 5 hours of sleep before getting up for work. And thanks for accompanying me!
Benison: Tsk tsk! =P just kidding!

Labels:

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home