Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Meme - 3 Best Stalls in NUS Canteens

Curry Tan tagged me to do this meme on the 3 Best Stalls in NUS Canteens. Wah lao, frankly I don't have much experience at the stalls there leh! Everything to me is "okay" because my tongue says it's "okay", and I usually eat at arts canteen... In any case...

Instructions:
1) List three stalls (in no particular order) in NUS canteens that you like the most.
2) Explain briefly your choice for each.
3) Tag three people (NUS students and staff... duh!).
4) Link back to the person who tagged you so that backlinks/trackbacks will appear.

1) Chicken Rice stall at Arts Canteen

What's good:
Others say that the previous seller sells horrible chicken rice and I think I'm lucky that I got to eat at this new stall when it started business. Some friends say I'm a chicken rice freak but I'm not ok! It's just that the dish from this stall is really nice. The chicken isn't dry or hard, it's fresh and supple and tender (am I using the correct words?). The rice isn't too oily or too dry, it's just right. Plus they have a few thick stalks of vegetables to go with at the side instead of cucumber, which I really like. The vegetables are boiled, so it's healthy. If you don't like vegetables you can always tell the uncle about that. Business is really brisk at that stall during lunchtimes and the queue can be really long! Oh oh, they also have a huge pot of free soup outside the stall! Self-service. I like the taste of the soup too, don't think they added MSG. It's purely boiling of chicken, if I'm not wrong. In any case it's a must try!

What's bad:
This comment came from MZ: The vegetables come from this little basket next to where they prepare the meat and the uncle will just use his bare hand to take the vegetables from the basket and put onto the plate. A bit not hygienic. I think it should be ok, I haven't had a diarrhoea from eating at that place, so I will overlook that point. Plus they need to be fast.

The food started out at $1.50 or $1.60, now I think it costs $1.80. =( But it's worth it, I don't mind paying the price. Do notice that you'd have to pay more for drumsticks on your rice though.

2) Fresh/fried fish with noodles (yu pian mi fen) stall at Arts Canteen

What's good:
Almost always eat from here. It ain't perfect but I think it's good. Don't know why, I just like how the soup taste and I think the sliced fish is fresh. There are vegetables! Yes, I'm a stickler for vegetables.

What's bad:
Frozen noodles are used, which means it's kind of hard and sometimes still stick together when you are eating.
Not enough vegetables.

3) The Indian stall at Arts Canteen

What's good:
Crispy prata, cooked on the spot, taste marvellous. I like pratas plain because of the dipping in curry. This stall has nice curry, spicy and addictive. I'm not a critic for curry so you all try already then tell me. There are many types of prata, egg, potatoes (there's a special name for this) etc.
They also sell briyani and rice with different dishes.

What's bad:
They are SLOW when it comes to prata and will tend to ask for your order 3 to 4 times, so you must be prepared to stand there for 15 minutes. If you buy from there you will see why they are slow.
Their utensils once ran out when I wanted a fork/spoon. They gave me a plastic one instead. I almost broke it while eating.

Other stall(s) worth a mention:
Western stall at business
Rice stall at Arts (Ingredients, except for rice, not bad)

Tagged:
Mingzhu
Liu Yin
Yanwei

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

8 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger VaLeN said...

haha thanks for tagging me but i don't think i'm able to give any comments regarding nus canteens because i've only been in sch for 4 months, plus i always eat in Munchie Monkey or the Japanese restaurant :p

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger tstar said...

haha, it's ok... wah, eh very expensive leh, eat at those places! eat with me and I'll force u to eat at canteens =P

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi steph!! haha i tot u always ate the spagetti at the western food stall. :P

haha i also dont mind the prata.. but sometimes it turns out quite chaotah! hehe and u didnt feature my faves.

:)
anws exams are over!!! do enjoy yourself!! at least till school reopens *groans*

lets meet up in the hols !! haha
with manyi,cindy and angeline

hehe.
and we can meddle ard with SPSS...
ure moving hse!! so sad
i liked ur house!
p.s: hahaha ure a terrible net addict.but i will miss readin ur entries anw

-steph

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger tstar said...

hey steph...

haha, spaghetti is coz it's easy and simple to eat, plus it's cheap though the sauce is plain, no ingredients one... what are ur fav stalls? i wanna try! except for that claypot stall, i scared of eating from there.. hehz.

my pratas so far are fine lehz.. mayb the uncle keep looking at u then make until chaotah =)

wah lao, almost the whole of my hols will b used for moving house lor! so tiring...

haha, u can meddle with SPSS, we watch u meddle with it.. btw, my new hse is nice too!

i'm still blogging frequently! thanks for reading, steph! =)

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger stephanie said...

haha, really? but because of u, i liked to eat the spagetti last semester! and i will add one big glob of mash potato!! haha u can't try alrd la..till next next sem. the canteen's closed. :( how come ure afraid of eating claypot?actually i am very boring haha i always eat at japanese,western,yong tau foo...this semester i tried the china dan dan mian too! it's nice!!
haha dont be gross la. the prata man wasnt looking at me!!!
haha where's ur new hse!! must invite us for house warming. ahha i wanna meet ah bear again. LOL.

=)
-steph

hahaha looks as if ure commenting on your own blog, adopting another persona

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger tstar said...

haha, i keep thinking it seems as if i'm doing a soliloquy too!

yar, not the arts canteen but what about the other canteens? any good food to recommend?
haha, because of me u like spaghetti! yay! so flattered!

new house still in hougang. Actually is an old house, we bought it back.
u lao tian zhen lor! still want to meet ah bear again! =D ok, if got house warming i'll invite u all. eh, my sister remembers cindy only.. hehz, she likes cindy lor.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger stephanie said...

haha.. you got a split personality steph.. scary!!

haha the other canteens, EVERYONE always recommends the indonesian chicken at engine, and then the western at business.DAMN BORING. next sem, we are all gng to be STICK SKINNY.cus we all hve nth to eat. haha yup! i eat spaghetti cus of u!!

haha u all so cute!! quite lucky can get your old hse back. haha den u can still take 151 to school. hehe good..
haha is ah bear cleaner alrd not? if not, i also dowan to meet him..
wah olivia so biased =((( cindy bully her the most, den she only rems cindy.. haha

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger tstar said...

haha and u r my other side...

we need recommendations lor! coz arts will be closed for darn long... haha, i skinny anymore the wind will really blow me down.. haha.. WE WON'T BE STARVED LAH! =D juz go down to e other canteens..

haha, ah bear is still as dirty. yar, my sis still remem the "z" on her head =D she say she likes cindy lehz...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home