Sunday, February 25, 2007

Drumming and Movement workshop

I went for a drumming workshop that Damien (instructor of SPU) signed us up for today, expecting something on along the lines of western drumming. What I got was totally unexpected.

This workshop is conducted by U theatre, titled Drumming and Movement workshop. I suspect because Damien cannot read Chinese or he hasn't been looking around properly, he didn't find out more about the group. I don't think he also realized that this is one of the groups who are performing A Touch of Zen.

U Theatre is from the suburbs of Taipei and they do their training in the mountains. Until now I'm a bit uncertain as to their background, training and what they actually focus on, but I do know that they're marvellous to watch. Their way of drumming is also very interesting and in a class of its own. I'm not sure if this is how Chinese drumming is supposed to be like, but I'm certain I have not seen anything close to what I've experienced today.
The large gestures, the use of the body and use of martial arts. Their drumming is an art on its own, a totally different world. By the time I finished the workshop, or should I say by the time the workshop was done with me, my arm and legs were aching, I was perspiring and I was deeply interested in learning the basics of this form of drumming. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd ever have the chance to do so.

The workshop was split into 3 sections. The 1st was the warming up, physically stretching in... let's say that they use martial arts basics. I loved every minute of it, although I was obviously very stiff. There was this section where the lady was practically in a split while all of us showed her a very shocked expression then tried hard to at least touch our toes. While she had her entire body flat on the floor between her legs, the rest of us were hunched with our legs spread wide. She showed so much flexibility that I was embarrassed of myself.

The 2nd section was called the Sacred Dance. This dance isn't about technicality. I think it's about concentration and showing your inner state. Putting it simply, it's about coordination of your head, arms and legs. He talked about having 3 centres - Intellectual, physical (I think) and emotional. The first two have to be linked and communicating well in order for you to do the simple dance/coordination of the head, arms and legs properly. Obviously my 2 centres were not coordinating well. In fact there was absolutely no coordination at all because my limbs were everywhere. I was not concentrating and could not concentrate. How accurate a description for my current state - the inability to concentrate, on anything at all, and also having no trust in my body.

The 3rd section was the drumming itself. We played on the Chinese drums and I got the huge one. Like I said, their gestures and styles were really nice. It wasn't only about using their arms and hands. It was also about the body, including the legs. It was also about grace. It's having grace within the strength. You have to watch to understand what I mean. I think Chinese drumming (or this form of drumming?) is really unique.

Thus, if you want, you might want to watch A Touch of Zen. It's by both U Theatre and The Shaolin Temple Wushu Training Centre. What I learned wasn't even a quarter of what they would perform. Zen would be performed at Esplanade Theatre on 3rd and 4th March 2007, at 8pm. Tickets are running out fast so grab whatever you can as fast as possible.

Labels:

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home