Sunday, February 18, 2007

I once had zest for life

Hello everybody! Hope the New Year's been a good one so far - minimal questions about when you are going to get a boyfriend/girlfriend or when you are going to get married and not too much nibbling of new year goodies.

Anyway if you're already exhausted from today's visiting, here's a little something. Visit N.E.mation to watch a variety of animation clips done by some secondary school students on the topic of Total Defence and then vote for your 3 favorite clips.

Watching the clips brought back a lot of memories and made me think about some matters. It reminded me of how capable we were during secondary school days. Always striving for the best, giving our all, believing that we can always achieve something more in all that we do. There was so much zest and passion for life, so much energy in us to spend, so much believe in ourselves. Yet for some of us, for me at least, with passing time the energy dwindled away. There was more tiredness than enthusiasm in what we are doing, less belief that we can do better because of the current belief that there is always somebody better and that we'll never reach up there. Sometimes it boils down to no interest. Sick of doing our best - why do so when one can relax? Today's me is a far cry from me in my secondary school days and I wonder why. Am I just tired of the rat race? Tired of always competing or have I just gotten plain lazy? I wonder if I can ever rise up again to the standard in the younger me.

And then I ask why should I, when for half the effort I can achieve reasonable results.

The young are mostly always inspirational. We once were. Maybe for some of you, you still are. For me, maybe I once was, but don't know about now.

That zest, that energy. Maybe I just need to find something that truly interest me and put my heart wholly into it. Or maybe it's time for a change. But is change really necessary? What do I want? To be truthful, I still do not know.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

11 Comments:

At 4:38 AM, Blogger stephanie said...

hi steph, u just described how i felt totally into words! i feel exactly the same way.... the me in secondary school. i think i was living WAYYY more enthusiastically than now.
now im very tired. and plain lazy. and just sick of everything. :(

sadd. JIAYOU ya! and happy cny! :D

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger tstar said...

yar, so sad right... haiz...

you jiayou too! and happy CNY back! =)

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And I thought only I felt that way. Its NUS la, I tell you. Run by govt one, sure up to no good.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger fallen angel said...

Thanks for the advert! Do vote for your favorite clips at www.nemation.sg :)

NUS rocks!!! :p Just have to find ways to rekindle the passion in oneself bah. If academics don't appeal,go for friends, if friends don't appeal, there's always this ever-going fashion show in fass(getting sick of it though).

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger tstar said...

chuwen: no lah, for me it's not only NUS, it's basically just a lost of enthusiasm and passion. FASS is nt like engine, don't think competition is so great.

fallen angel: why you say it's an advert? your friend's clip in there mehz?

erm, well, NUS is ok, really depends on how you look at it. It's great in some ways but really lousy in some. anyway, i've never taken part in the fashion show in fass. hey, some girls don't tire of it though! =)

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger fallen angel said...

I intern-ed at mindef-nexus and was involved in some meetings for this project. My ex-collegues wanted me to spread the word for voting purposes. Thought you knew of this competition via my msn nick..hmm..if not, that's even better news! That will show that the media outreach for this project is quite successful. :)

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger tstar said...

oic! Yeah, it was through your nick that i visited the site... also saw the advertising on tv though...

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bleah phase will pass. It's part of life.

There's plenty of hidden sights in NUS, actually. Here's a mini scavenger hunt:

1) Find three large spiders in their webs.
2) Find the clusters of orchids blooming naturally in the rain trees.
3) Find a little vegetable garden with papaya trees and ladyfinger plants.

Hint: They're all within a 10 minute walk of the Central Library...

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger tstar said...

looks like I don't know NUS very well. Yar, I'm sure there are plenty of hidden sights. You go walking around and crawling in bushes often?

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. No need to go around crawling in the bushes. All the three things can be seen while you walk from YI to BizAd, without having to step off a hard pavement/road. :)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger tstar said...

Oh... cool. I shall look for it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home