Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Parental love control

I studied late in school today because I have a test on Thursday and it is absolutely useless to study at home because of the numerous distractions. Now it seems as if I can't study late in school either because firstly, there are other distractions and secondly, my parents don't like it.

I SMSed my mother at about 5pm to tell her that I'll be home late and I'll be in school. At 8.30pm my father called to ask where am I and why am I not home. At 10pm, my mother SMSed to ask what time am I coming home. I told her about 11.30pm and that I'm already waiting for the bus. She ask why don't I take the train, it's faster. I told her I don't want to but didn't tell her the reason. At that point I was starting to get frustrated. 11.19pm, I reached the bus interchange. Mum sent another SMS, asking me to tell her when I'm about to reach so that my father can go down and wait for me because it's very late already. Tired from the ride and now quite frustrated, I chose to ignore her message. My home is 7 minutes walk away. 5 minutes later she called me. The moment I picked it up, I said I'm downstairs and will be going up soon, then I hung up. Told myself that when I go up I will be calm and won't say a lot. Once I speak, I'll just flare up. I don't want to quarrel because I know they're just concerned about their daughter.

On one hand, I know how they feel, one the other hand I'm frustrated with all these. Although I don't have a kid, my sister is close enough to that. When she grows up and comes home late, I think I'll worry too. Even now, if she comes home late or goes somewhere without informing, it's quite worrying. It's the same thing, just worry and concern. I think they're worried because I'm probably the most vulnerable of the 3 kids. My brother's a guy (duh!), so there isn't much worry about him. My sister though young is quite intelligent and street-wise. I'm quite easy to cheat and play around with. I will hardly turn down a person's request, even if it's a stranger because I don't know if the person truly needs help or has ulterior motives or not. I'm a female, the oldest (read: first child) so I guess they're bound to feel anxious about me. Even among my friends I'm kind of like the kid.

It isn't that I don't appreciate their concern - I really do. I'm glad I still have my parents with me and at least they care about me. But when is it really too much? When is it enough? 11.30pm in my opinion isn't very late. MZ said that they are having too tight a grip on me. I am reminded of YZ, my junior. I feel like I see myself in her. Sometimes I feel quite choked. I can't go to clubs, I can't go to pubs, I can't exactly drink, I can't go out until too late (11pm is late), they're not happy if I stay overnight at a chalet or at friend's house. My friends once told me to lie to them about the timing I'm going home - tell them 1am, go home 2am, but I don't like lying to them. I know they trust me so I should not lie to them, but...

Maybe just a while more. A while more before they'll relax a bit more. I was thinking about it and wondering if it is because I'm nearing 21, so they're taking their last chance at controlling me. Odd view, huh?

So what should I do or think? Am I wrong to feel like this? Should I just come home earlier next time?

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home