Friday, March 09, 2007

Sushi

I made sushi today.

Well, I tried to. First I tried to cook rice without the rice cooker because the rice cooker is over at my grandmother's place and our house don't have one. My father insisted I put too little water into the pot so I trusted him and put more water in.

While waiting, I realized I had no ingredients for the sushi. No cucumber, no right egg, have tuna but no mayonnaise and no salmon. Mother came back from work and she pointed out the other type of mayonnaise to me.

I decided to check on the rice.
It turned out to be porridge.

Now, you can't possibly make sushi with porridge, right? So I went over to my grandmother's place where the maid already had some rice cooking and took a bowl of rice then mixed in some of the sushi powder. Either the rice was cooked inappropriately or the sushi mixture an utter fake because it didn't taste right. The taste is slightly there but it just isn't right. Next time just buy the vinegar especially for this, might really taste better.

Boiled crabsticks and prepared the tuna.

I laid the sushi mat flat on the table top and placed the very-expensive-seaweed on top. Spread some rice on it, put the sliced crabsticks on top and added a little tuna. I started rolling the sushi.

The rice started falling out and getting all over the place. It looked as if half the sushi was on my hands. I ate the grains off my hands and continued rolling. I was starting to think that paying $1 for 2 pieces of sushi is very worth it. It didn't look too bad when I was done, though it was a little loose. Mother cut the thing into pieces for me. I called my brother and everybody to come try. Mother demonstrated how to roll a sushi for me. Even hers wasn't great but at least it was pretty tight and it looked neat, unlike mine which had rice grains on the outside of the sushi.

The rice ran out and I got my sister to get another bowl of rice for me. I rolled two more sushi rolls. When I'm done, there was rice all over the place. In total we rolled 4 sushi rolls and everything took 2 hours. Buying the same amount of sushi outside would take me about 10 minutes.

It's really not easy, making sushi, because there are a lot of skills involved. Paying the amount we do when we buy sushi is not only for the ingredients, it is also for the chef's skills. It's the same as when we pay to go to a concert, it's not only to listen to the music or the sounds, but we're also paying for the skills of the musician(s).

I'll still be making sushi at home though. I reckon it's a lot cheaper. I mean it will be when I stop spilling rice all over the place.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

2 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you need japanese rice to make sushi. its more sticky than normal rice. your grandma's maid used too little water

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger tstar said...

The sushi mixture is supposed to serve the same purpose. It makes normal rice become sushi rice like that. Well that's what it says on the packet - just add into normal rice after it's cooked and mix well. It did turn out to be more sticky than normal rice - it stuck to my fingers. But somehow the taste doesn't seem to seep into the rice itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home