Sunday, July 29, 2007

Singapore Heritage Fest 2007

So after ping.sg gathering yesterday, JY and I headed to Suntec City to look at the Singapore Heritage Fest exhibition. Ok, actually it was me who really wanted to go and JY decided to go with me.

When we got there, there was a lady telling stories to a small group of kids. She was animated and entertaining, great story-teller!

lady: so who has a white bear?
cousin: (quietly to me) I have!
me attempts to pull her arm to "hand-raising" position

There are basically two areas, one is at the empty space in front of the customer service counter the moment you enter Suntec through main entrance beside Balaclava, the other is at Tropics Atrium. The first area is termed the Kids Corner or something of the likes. This is not to say there is a lack of exhibits. It is here that I found most of the interesting exhibits. Show you all some of the items there.

One of the first things we saw was a gramophone with vinyl records beside it.

Gramophone

Vinyl Records

Then I spotted these, which I thought my mother would be pleased to see:

Sewing Machine

Especially the iron, which she has told us repeatedly how she operates it. Unfortunately, the one below seems to be electricity-operated while I remember she said she used to put coals into the iron to heat it that way.
Iron

This got me super excited:

I'm not sure if it's called a trumpet or if there is another name for it. This horn obviously has no keys and different notes are produced purely by the players' pitching.

Racquets

These are from our time(!) :

Tricycle

Spitton (which cousin refused to take a picture of)

Cousin and I felt so old after that.

After which we proceeded to Tropics Atrium to look at more stuff.

I think this egg basket was in my grandmother's time. I don't remember seeing it in my era (era! knn, feel so old) anymore.

Egg basket

I have seen these and tried to play with them before. My mother vividly remembers them:

kuti-kuti

Lantern

The lantern in the past was of course lit from inside with a candle. Here it is lit with an electric bulb for exhibition purposes.

I simply had to take a picture of this because I don't even see the restaurant here anymore:

A&W glasses

There is a reason why I took a picture of this blackboard (chalkboard) :

Blackboard (please ignore the TV sticking out)

Blackboards are truly a thing of the past. It was already fading out in my late Primary / early secondary school days. My sister, 12 years younger than me, in Primary 3 has never seen one in her life, although she has seen chalk before, but that's only because we have some in our house, somewhere in the depths of the storeroom. Wrong, my sister has seen it before - in cartoons! -_-''' Erm, thank god for cartoons? I remember how there would always be the date and day on the top left or right hand corner of the board.

And I thought this might strike some as familiar:

A milo tin with handles at the top and bottom, for use in provision shops to place money in. Tin would be placed on a retractable roller of some sort or something. When not in use, it would be hanging above the heads. When needed, one only needs to pull down the tin using the handle and remove money from there then return it to its original position of hanging above.

That would be about all from me. The exhibition ends today, Sunday 29th July 2007. Do drop by to take a look. There are lots of stuff that I didn't talk about here.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

2 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger oceanskies79 said...

Thanks for this post. I like heritage. I figured that you play the percussion from your profile photo. Do you play other instruments as well?

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger tstar said...

hello! you're a double bass player, right? i've seen you all played at LT13 when doing a promo for your concert. I used to play piano but i haven't touched it in a long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home