Saturday, April 12, 2008

In response to The West Wing (Dance Version) review

It's kind of bugging me so I thought I'll mention it.

In reference to this review of the The West Wing (Dance Version), I have read and re-read my post and I don't think it is really very, very harsh. Is it because they don't know me? Or is it because I did not put my thoughts across properly?

I was so troubled, I SMSed my friend to read it and tell me if I have really erred. I heard from him that that post might have hurt people concerned. I am sincerely apologetic and feeling very guilty. However, we can never escape from criticisms. Sometimes we just have to know which ones are worth taking a note from and which we should ignore, or which aspects of the post to take into consideration and which to ignore. Look, I am just one person in a whole group of audience. Many like it, some don't. Look at both sides and don't let the negative remarks take you down.

Actually I don't know if I should have used the word "review" since I am in no way a professional. But I thought it would be ok, you know, a review from an audience's point of view.

I simply did not enjoy the production as much as I had hoped to. Is it wrong? Must I enjoy it? Must all in the audience enjoy it? I only said very truthfully what I felt was contributing to my un-enjoyment (if there's such a word) of the play. I did not mean to sound like a professional critic in the process. Maybe I do not understand Chinese Opera and cannot appreciate it. I think I should have taken this into consideration while writing the review. That was wrong of me.

One reader said she has paid for the $19 ticket while I paid only $14.50. I don't know how much his/her allowance is every month, I don't know if he/she is the type who spend on movies and think a $3 lunch is cheap. For me, $14.50 is a significant sum. I had previously debated whether to go for this or the other play "Saving Grace", another NUS student production and I chose this because I had high expectations for it (one of my erroneous assumption). Concerts and plays are probably the only things I am willing to splurge on.

Then another reader told me to shove my comments up my ass. I felt very offended by this. I might have made some mistakes in the review of the post, but is it right to criticize your audience or even anybody, like this?

They might respond that I criticized them as well. But I criticized their acting and presentation of the play! I did not criticize the persons themselves! Whereas this reader had made a very personal attack towards me.

If they had told me that I was wrong and that my entry was too harsh, that I was not seeing some things right and would like to tell me the hard work they had put in to make this happen, in a polite way, I would have been very happy to acknowledge my mistakes. If they were very angry over the criticisms, I would even understand. In fact a couple of the comments told me relatively nicely how they felt compared to the above person I mentioned. I thank them for their patience and restrain.

My friend has also given me a view into how things were backstage and I truly appreciate his efforts to attempting to make me understand. I have yet to replied his email fully though (if he is reading this: I think the curtain call is absolutely necessary in any production! Their hard work have to be acknowledged. It is not the presence of the curtain call I did not like, nor was it the length of curtain call. Believe me, I have seen longer ones! It was just that a mere accumulation of dislikes which made the disorganization of the curtain call bug me).

I had tried to tone down the review because I am aware my unhappiness with the play is probably not going to be well received. Was also aware that my emotions were running high at that time, especially since I blogged about it soon after watching it. Also, I did not only include bad stuff in the review. In fact, I started off with what I thought was good. Are the good things not important? Why are people focusing on the bad of what I said?

I am actually very upset because I just expressed what I thought as a member of the audience but was criticized instead. I previously wondered if I was very "unprofessional" in the way I criticized the play. The email from my friend made me think about it and I realized that it basically stems from my ignorance of the amount of hard work they have put in. I have acknowledged that it is a mistake on my part, to not have taken that into account, because any performer would want the audience to know how much effort they personally have put in. But are the responses from them very unprofessional? I believe yes, but I now understand it is also because they had put in a lot of hard work and I had seem to, using one of their own words, demean it.

By the way, I have heard of a number of people who have enjoyed the production, so I hope you all do not have a bad impression of NUS Theatre Studies' students in terms of their acting skills. Afterall, everybody has to start somewhere, make some mistakes and gain experience in order to get to the professional level.

Comments are welcome, flaming is not. Keep your "shove your comments up your sorry asses" to yourself, thank you.

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

10 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger averii said...

Geezz...
I went and re-read that post again...
And I find nothing wrong with it...

It is obvious you are writing from a point of view of an audience's...
And as an audience, you have every right to comment on it, so as long as you did not purposely go and flamed them, but truly writing what you think without any bias-ness...

What, did they expect everybody who can judge them must be a professional??

If there were anybody who is rude, it's those people who made personal attacks... Oh wow and anonymous some more...

Anyway, if they cannot handle criticism, then they shouldn't put up the play in the first place...
When you put up plays/musicals/concert etc for an audience, you will be faced with both praises and criticism...

Criticism is good because helps people to spot their weakness, and from there, improve themselves...

Just because they put in a lot of effort, it doesn't mean they will be spared...
There are also many others who put in just as much effort into their plays/musicals/concert etc...
But sadly, putting in a lot of effort does not equals praises for the end product, especially since tastes differ between people...
Some people may like it, so what's wrong with the others who don't??

Cheer up, hope you are not upset anymore by such people...

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger tstar said...

Thanks averii for the support! I feel much better now!

Maybe because some of them were not TS students so they did not have this experience before? I don't know. Yeah, at some time I felt like I did not have the right to not like the play. But maybe I was a little too harsh on a student play.

anyway it was a play through a module, so they don't have a choice, they had to do it.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i didnt know it was you. i only realised when u saw ur photos from hk! shucks..

well it was a bit harsh i would say because my friend was involved in the production and i really know how much effort and time they put into it to even produce it.

i may also had been a bit harsh in my previous comment but i thought we should be there to support them. criticisms are fine but many of quite hard to solve eg. the tapes on the stage (the set-changers were volunteers so they are different people very night, therefore need the tapes to guide them on positioning).

im sorry if u felt hurt or offended ya but i guess we just had different perspectives and views toward the play. heh.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger tstar said...

hey jieqi, I was wondering if it was you, haha.

I think coz we went there with different purposes. I went there mainly to enjoy and not kinda to support (coz like I said, I didn't quite register that it's a student play).

I didn't mean that the tapes and all that are wrong, I was just bugged by them coz previously the play was not as good as I had expected (coz of the erroneous mindset i brought in again). Again, I was just saying what bugged me as an audience and we know that sometimes the things that we're irritated with, just can't really be helped (as you said) but it still bugged me anyway. heh.

nvm lah. I'm quite anal when watching concerts and plays etc. also. You've never read when I critique concerts sia. I write like dunno how many pages long one.

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a regular reader of your blog and I've had drama/theatre classes for 9 years in my childhood. Here's my 2 cents:

I think your criticisms are actually very helpful in letting those involved with The West Wing know roughly where they stand amongst audience who were not there to "support" them. It also gives them a taste of what they could possibly face should they go into theatre as a career. Putting up a performance - well, if you are aiming for a school type of event where most of the audience are family/friends, then it's fine to be amateurish. But from the look of the poster, their publicity was perhaps a tad too ambitious. The only thing you, the reviewer, can be held accountable for, is perhaps not realizing that school productions are inevitably amatuerish, due to lack of technique on the part of performers and lack of dedication to the craft (in some students, there are always the good ones who take technique seriously, but a few not-so-serious students can ruin a whole production). That's why I never watch school theatre productions. Or rather, I would only fork out money to watch it if there is someone in particular whom I wish to support.

Another thing that bugs me - do performers truly expect to be let off without criticism just because they put in lots of effort? This kind of attitude is typical of inexperienced performers doing it for fun, that's understandable, but I sure hope no serious actor/TS major thinks like this. In performance art, the only thing that counts, that should count, is the final product - what the audience sees. That's being faithful to art, to the live moment on stage. Besides, spending hours and hours, sacrificing evenings and weekends before a production is no big deal. Everyone who has done a performance knows you reherse till you feel like crying, you have no life for those few weeks but that's what everyone goes through all the same, it does not guarantee a good end product and it certainly does not guarantee an immune shot from being picked apart. To those who feel sore at being criticized despite sacrificing so much time and energy, welcome to theatre (and performance art in general)!

I'm simply shocked by the unprofessional responses to your review post. If it came from performance newbies, I can understand. If it came from people who intend to take theatre seriously, I think it's a joke.

Please keep up with your reviews and don't let amateurish responses deter you. =)

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tstar, this is coming from a reader who is not only an alumnus but whom has also spent many years backstage working on professional theatre productions as well as on stage in performances.
And I would really like to say you should really not feel bad or apologetic at all. Firstly coz whatever review you have given has clearly been indicated as your personal opinion.
And having both worked backstage and onstage for many years, I can't b more clear of the efforts that go into a production, but we as performers also do well in recognising one fact, and that is, we cannot expect our audiences to judge us based on the effort + the outcome. The audience (like yourself) come to watch a performance, and expect to be wowed...so whether we deliver or not, they have every right to comment. The audience should NOT be expected to take all the cast effort into account as well. Difficult to handle, but that is indeed the harsh reality of the performing world.
So basically what I want to say is you certainly sound like a girl w ur head on your shoulders and one whom is self-reflexive as well. Do not let personal attacks or harsh comments deter you from speaking your mind. This is YOUR space after all eh. Feel free to pen your thoughts freely and really, The West Wing should really be happy for a "review" from you. After all, like my peers in the arts industry would put it, a bad review is always better than NO review!!

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe. how many jieqi would there be who are so mean?

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger tstar said...

Hi k and anonymous, thanks for both your comments on the issue and support! Suddenly I felt all pumped up and full of hope... for some reason... heh. Will definitely continue reviewing. Hope the 2 anonymous-es who commented here in the other post come here to read what you both wrote.

jieqi: you're supposed to be NICE!!! =P

 
At 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm a passing reader and I just want to reinforce the statements above: mainly, that you're entitled to your honest opinion on your blog (even if some disagree with what you write), and to please continue with the reviews.

Like you, I went to the performance to support my friend, but left rather disappointed because of what I felt was an amateurish production, even at the student level. The good first: I did think the costumes and make up were done well, and I appreciate the effort that went into translating the Mandarin verse into English, and the amount of time that the actors and backstage crew spent on the production.

But I found the acting inconsistent in quality, the humour appropriate in parts but verging on slapstick in others, and the script rambling and draggy in the latter half. I don't think I was alone as well because the friends who went with me were ambivalent about the whole thing too, no matter how much we wanted to like it.

It's understandable that the people involved in the production are indignant about you not liking it as much as they wish you had. Good for them, I say, because their heart's in the right place (at least they want to do well and want to entertain).

But as budding artists they certainly deserve a fair opinion, even one that is negative, because who else is going to tell them what was not good (and really, how else can they improve?) The last thing they should expect is to be mollycoddled by the audience in the same way people close to them might do - and I think that would be doing them a disservice too.

I hear they might be continuing the play elsewhere so I hope for their sakes that they work harder and get better at entertaining the audience. As for you, as I said at the start, don't feel discouraged and continue saying it as it is.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger tstar said...

hi anonymous!

Thanks for the encouragement =)

Ooh, they're performing somewhere else... I hope things will be alright for them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home