Sunday, January 21, 2007

Academia in Life

Completely frank here.

Most of the time when I read of how his life is going, I get immensely jealous. Not matter how small a matter, I still get jealous. It's completely ridiculous, but that's how it is. I know that stuff happens only when you make an effort to do it, you know, not just wait for stuff to happen. But somehow when I try, some things don't happen the way they do and I guess that's alright because not everything can turn out the way you want them to be. It's like what he says of what he learnt in the process of the trebuchet competition - you can't have everything the way you want. You gain some, you lose some, then you learn from it. I find it especially true in group work.

Just the day before, JY and I were talking about group work and she told me how much she hates it because, she said something like, why should I accomodate them? Because in life it's all about accomodation and group work teaches you how to do so, whether or not you like it or hate it, this skill is necessary. I don't love group work, nor do I completely hate it. I believe that there are lots of things to be learnt from others - useful skills that they have, unique perspectives and even the bad stuff like how never to treat your team member and other things you know you should never do, they serve to remind. Not to mention that you learn over time how to deal with certain situations, what to say, to always listen and to dare to voice out your opinions etc. Lots of things, really. Most of the times, fortunately, I've got decent team members or rather, members that I can cope with. True, I lost my temper sometimes and got darn irritated at other times but that's just how it is.

The other day while having lunch with my cousin, he asked if I always have lunch alone. I told him that most of my friends aren't in my major, they're either in other faculties or other majors and it's kind of difficult to meet up with them because we have a time-table clash or some already have their own group of friends to hang out with, people whom you don't really click with, you know. I'm not the type who will say hi to the person sitting beside me during lecture and strike up a conversation with him/her. Even if I do so, I find that most of the time they aren't really people I can... identify with. My cousin's right about having friends in the same major as you. Imagine going into lecture most of the time and sitting by yourself then leaving by yourself, semester after semester. Is it any wonder that I'm envious and jealous of SH who seem to have friends surrounding him, who have people to eat with and who is blessed enough (in my opinion) to meet even more people from his own faculty through his blog who actually likes him? It isn't just him, it's anybody for that matter. I get kind of envious when I go into the LT to see people sitting together with their friends, talking animatedly and laughing before lecture and during breaks. Not wanting to be always alone, I am now trying to get as close as possible to people in my major. Maybe it won't be so bad, maybe there'll be a silver lining in it afterall.

------------------------
I'm contemplating filing for graduation in my 3rd year and then going overseas for further studies in psychology but I'm not sure how advisable or viable it is. Any ideas/comments?

Looking at my CAP though, I wonder if I can pull it up any further just to be on the safe side.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

5 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger xxoos said...

everyone's life seem to be "better" in our eyes, i guess.

sometimes i'm also quite envious that yanwei can have a clique in school, and people to do modules with him, and even to go out for movies with, catch football matches together. but there are also the compromises, like fitting the timetable, bidding for modules and stuff.

i don't have a clique in school, i do almost all my modules alone, i don't even bother eating lunch in school because i never am able to find a partner to have meals with. but for me, i don't mind as long as i know i'm doing the modules that i like, i think that's what that is the most important, doing things that you like. sometimes it might be a bit lonely, but it's all for the best for yourself.

psychology is quite a large department, there are still chances of getting to know other people in tutorials and stuff. for me, being an european studies major, erm... i don't really have that many "course mates". eu dept by itself is already divided into the german speaking and the french speaking group. the total number of eu students each batch can be counted on one hand, and i'm the only german speaking student in eu for my year.

but arts is like that one, without a fixed class, without fixed classmates. then again, one doesn't really need to sit with people in lectures. i guess just hang in there and complete the four year course ba... one more year doesn't make much of a difference. it isn't that bad being a loner in lectures~

*pat pat*

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger tstar said...

hey...

thanks, I feel better already after reading your comment. Sometimes I guess I just need a fellow arts student to tell me that it's alright or that they feel the same way too.

I agree that it's troublesome trying to fit into each other's timetables and frankly I have never tried to do so because well I did come here to study what I like. I guess I can't say that I regretted since it's for the best in the long run, right? It's just that sometimes things can get a little lonely and looking at others (with their friends) don't exactly help.
Reading about what you say about how's it for you in NUS, well, don't know if I should feel happier or not coz I seem to have it better. Kind of sadistic, hehz... But I guess in the end maybe it really doesn't matter if your friends are in the same faculty as you or nt coz they're still friends... haha, wah lao i sound like comforting myself like that can...

But seriously, thanks for the encouragement! =)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger xxoos said...

hehe... hadn't actually intended on making myself sound that bad. maybe because i'm old and jaded already ba, taking things easier.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Xiaostar said...

Heyhey you've got me~!!! HahaZ & we'll be taking not one...not two...but THREE tutorials together leh~ =)

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger tstar said...

xxoos:
first time i hear female say they are old.. haha... no lah, I think your view is a good one. For one, it's optimistic.

xiaostar:
hey... thanks! yar! 3 tutorials together, this breaks the record, totally! all 3 modules we take, we have the same tutorials! I'm still trying to recover from the shock of it all lorz.. hehz...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home