Monday, February 12, 2007

Saw; sick

Those white crane/stock-lookalike migratory birds are back in Singapore again. Actually I'm not sure if they've ever left but I really like looking at them. Saw this particular one standing very proudly on a black car in school today, as if declaring that the car is its'. Another flew, then landed on the grass patch next to the car. It was all scrunched up though, its neck withdrawn so that it looks relatively shorter and smaller than the other one. On the way home in the bus, I spotted quite a few of them perched on some lamp posts.

What birds are they? Where do they come from and how long will they stay?


Looks like I have a fascination with birds.

*edit* Oops, these birds didn't "come back". They ARE migratory, but apparently some of them decided they prefer it here and stayed on. So I don't think some of them are leaving. Yet.

Does the bird above look like this?

I'm not sure if it's the same bird. The neck seems a little too long. The above is the Great Egret. According to this site, a Great Egret is large sized (what considers as large?), has all white plume, yellow beaks and black legs and feet. Oh wait, it says that
Great Egrets are the largest of the white egrets found in the state.
Maybe what is in Singapore is only a white Egret...? Argh! What bird is it?!
------------------------
Saw SH walk past me today while I was studying. Kind of funny, usually I'm the one who doesn't spot him, this time round he was the blur one. Didn't disrupt his walk though.

------------------------
Woke up yesterday with a very odd-feeling throat. Slightly sore throat, slightly itchy. Somewhere along the way it developed into a full-blown cough. I suppose that's a good thing, given that I've been having minute coughs since last November, maybe this great cough will get it all done and over with.

Yar, right! As if it will!

Thought I was the only one with this odd illness but went to school today and was exposed to at least 3 other people coughing and another one on the bus. Either I am very super and passed the virus to so many people, or I've caught the whatever-the-virus-that-is-fashionable-recently bug. Well, at least I'm fashionable in some way.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

6 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little egret, possibly?

http://mangrove.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/text/2116.htm

(bottom of the page)

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger tstar said...

It resembles the little egret, but the one in Sg has yellow bill though not sure about the feet. So no, don't think it's a little egret... But thanks! =)

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger stephanie said...

hey steph! u noe what?! i have a secret to confess too. ahhaha! i hve been stalking those birds too!! hhaa been snappg a lot of their fotos with my fone..cus they keep appearing and there are so many of them!! i saw one tt day with brown feathers at its sides.. LOLS i also dunno where are they from. but they seem to be found more on the jurong side. if u take the green line mrt, can see a lot along the way...esp near chinese garden. haha! and also pasir ris? maybe areas with more greenery.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger tstar said...

haha... I've been stalking them since last year lor! yar, they seem to be more abundant in those areas, but also around hougang, especially my old house, there are a lot of them. Hey, I saw the brown feathered one too! I think it's the same one! Next time we should say hi to it.. haha...

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha!! rly?serngoon dont hv.. lols ya! the brown one was near the kent ridge interchange right?? haha i did say hi to it! but it ignored me and was so focussed on catching worms! it caught one! and gobbled it up.. afterwards i said bye. but it ignored me. hahaaha

steph

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger tstar said...

yar it was near kent ridge terminal.

Oh my god, you actually said hi to it... ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home