Saturday, June 16, 2007

Parents nagging

Ok, I should be glad. Last time it was 10.30pm, then it became 11pm, now it is 11.30pm.

I'm talking about the time my mother and father start SMS/calling me to
1) ask what time I will be home,
2) tell me that it is very late already
3) reiterate that Singapore is not as safe as I think it is and that there are rapists around.

Only that their intentions are now backfiring. The more they make me go home, the more I want to stay out. Pearlin told me that it is because they are concerned about me, and that, I have no doubt. But I am not on the other side of Singapore or at Clarke Quay or at some club or pub. I am barely 1.6 km away from home, at a Mcdonald's near my Secondary School after band practice ended at 10pm, having an unplanned supper with Pearlin, whom they have met before.

Within an hour from 11.30pm to 12.30am, I received first a missed call from my father, then a SMS from him, then a SMS from my mother (directly after my father), then another from my mother (to tell me that my father is not happy I am out so late and I had better go home now because her ear is very itchy from my father's nagging). I have since learnt to give up trying to convince them that I am safe to soothe their anxiety or to flare up at them. I give one word or one sentence replies and 20 minutes later get my butt off the chair and head home.

I should be glad that they are concerned.

Repeats to self: I should be glad that they are concerned. I should be glad that they are concerned. I should be glad that they are concerned. I should be glad that they are concerned. I should be glad that they are concerned. I should be glad that they are concerned.

On one hand, I don't want to regret. On the other hand, I am getting irritated.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

3 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i'm 32 and my mom still does dat. imagine how I feel.... ^^

and I'm a GUY!

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger tstar said...

hey daniel...

wow... I'm quite speechless! I guess in the parents eyes, a kid will always be a kid, huh.
Really quite sian leh! I can't go out for supper with my friends without feeling guilty!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Pkchukiss said...

Have you tried negotiating with your parents on this? Something like arranging to call them if you have to work late?

It probably helps if you are with a trusted friend (bring your friend to your parents for a meet-the-parents session) for a security clearance.

Once that is done, whenever you stay out with that friend, I think your parents would be more inclined to cut you some slack... at least it did for one of my friend :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home