Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Earthquake

In case you do not yet know, an earthquake of about magnitude 7.9 hit Indonesia, more specifically Sumatra's region, at 11.10am GMT (locally 7.10pm) today. Tremors were felt in Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia. Fear that the quake might cause a tsunami resulted in tsunami warnings given in Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, the Maldives and India, telling residents to move away from the Indian Ocean coastline.

For some reason either CNA or Mediacorp news started talking about their own workers feeling the tremors and then showed a scene at mediacorp's radio tower, during newstime. It is perfectly valid and alright but just struck me as funny and... redundant? Talk about adding a touch of personalization.

I was seated very comfortably in my chair in front of the computer and swaying my body as usual (and shaking my leg slightly) when I felt that something was wrong - chair was shaking far too much. I stopped shaking my leg and stood up to look at my chair. It was rattling away! Looked under my chair - nothing underneath, pushed it backward a bit - still nothing, so why is it shaking so violently by itself?
Suddenly realized that can feel the entire building swaying and thought there was something wrong with me. Looked at the cup of water on the table and saw it trembling slightly. I thought 7th month over already?!
Hurried out of the room calling for my mother only to see my male cousin and his tuition kid standing up, looking at me with a bewildered expression on their faces.

Shaking, right? Cousin asked.

It hits me that I'm normal and 7th month's over.

A minute of slight panicking and wondering if we should evacuate the building later, I hurried back into the room to twitter what was happening. Surfslayer messaged me to ask if we should evacuate the building. Told her it should be ok and to switch on the radio just in case we need to do anything. Don't know how effective is the radio anyway - see how unprepared we are? Then the tremors ceased.

That was my first experience with earthquake tremors. The other couple of times I was very soundly asleep and snoring (mother thought my snores caused the bed to shake) or in school and did not feel anything at all. Quite exciting, but I don't envy those in Bengkulu City where it was hit the hardest.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home