Saturday, April 19, 2008

Deleting Twitter - my bubble world

It is 1AM.

I reached home 2 hours ago.
Was studying in school 12 hours ago.
Had the last lecture of this semester 15 hours ago.

At some interval or other in between those hours, I have accessed twitter on my phone countless times, checking updates and twittering. There are two possible conclusions I can draw from this:

  1. Twitter has taken over my life
  2. Twitter is very important to me

Both are true for me. I feel uneasy if I don't access twitter on my phone, regardless of whether or not there are updates. If there are no updates from others, then I'll be the one who updates.

I don't remember the first time I learned about twitter, but it has to be at least a year ago. It is virtually an entirely different social circle of mine. I can almost split my friends up into entirely distinct group, mutually exclusive of each other.

For me, twitter has gone from something novel to something personal. Although I would walk alone down corridors, attend lectures and tutorials alone, study and have lunch by myself, I was never alone because my twitter friends were always there. I have, countless times, logged in while eating, twittering almost anything I thought of or noticed. It is a tremendous urge to twit and share it. Fellow twitterers would know how much I twit!

Hmm, sounds like addiction.

When twitter is down or the phone's battery juice is used up, I'd feel a little upset and very disconnected from the world. I had a little virtual world around me, wherever I was. I was never alone, although I was by myself. There was always chattering, though it was quiet. There was always laughter, sarcasm and constant thoughts flying around. Of course sometimes despite it all, I still feel a little lonely - like each of us are in our own little bubbles. Sometimes these bubbles interact and we have conversations. Other times, these bubbles float on their own. Bubbles are transparent. We can see what others are doing and others can see what we are doing, just that we don't push our bubble towards them, so we don't reply to their twits.

Then there are one-way mirror bubbles, only that the one-way mirror works in a weird way - others can see us but we can't see them. It's a little bit like being naked, isn't it? These are the people who follow you but who you don't know so you don't actually see what they are doing although they know precisely what you are doing.

At an update number of 3,629 twits, I have decided to delete the account. If I sign up another account again, I'm sure I'll catch up soon. In the meantime, I'll be losing touch with the world. For a good cause. I hope I don't miss too much. Bye bye, twitter. Thanks for accompanying me. I wonder how long I can last without you. Heh.

Oh yar, deleting Twitter would give me a lot more things to blog about.

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

4 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi tstar,

No wonder I ddin't get your updates....as I got most of the updates =( from u. Okay, respect your choice.

Take care and happy mugging for yr exams and hope u reconect back =)

w2k7beta

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger tstar said...

hey w2k7beta, thanks! Have fun twittering in the meantime! =)

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe less twit, cos muging for exams.

well, even w/o twitter, you still hav frens here wat.

goto to mug.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Hendri said...

Oh no, I'm starting to miss your tweets... But I can relate with what you blogged, cos that's exactly what I experience too (i.e. checking Twitter practically every single time of the day, even when eating with my other friends).

I used to delete my own Twitter, but that was for a personal reason. In the end, I couldn't take it and came back.

All the best for exams! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home