Thursday, August 16, 2007

Dating

I'm so tired that I am not tired anymore.

This is an interesting blog which has been around for quite some time now. Titled "Who Will I Marry? - Looking for the man of my mother's dreams", it records the thoughts of a 27 year old woman who has been actively searching for "the other half" since she was 25, aware of a woman's, I quote, "use-by date of 29 years of age", after which she will be considered unwanted.

I secretly read this blog with great interest and, I confess, a certain level of relief. I'm barely 21, but with relationship issues - read: great fear and uncertainty preventing me from stepping into one - and seriously wondering if I will ever get attached and subsequently find that somebody special and get married.

Argh, it's 1.30am and my mind is only half-working. Apologies if entry do not sound as coherent as usual. Alright, anyway her latest entry described exactly what I think of dating.

This section below she describes dating in the early 20s:

In the mid-teens to early 20s, dating was quick, fast and you fell into love like you were in and out of a McDonald’s drive-through. With complete and utter infatuation, you went out on a couple of dates, and fell into a relationship like a ton of bricks. Only to realise that perhaps it didn’t work out, or if it did, you enjoyed each other’s company with little regard for the looming future. In the early 20s, dating meant being ‘boyfriend-girlfriend.’ You could either be boyfriend-girlfriend for 1 month, or 6 years.

And that is what most of my friends have in mind. If I went out with somebody consistently enough, it meant we're a couple. I was talking to my friend and he said very clearly,

He is either your boyfriend or he is not, no such thing as "kind of" or "don't know".

AH, how long was it since I was ever this frank here? Alright, on to the next part she wrote:

In the late 20s, dating means ‘we’re seeing each other.’ He’s not exactly my boyfriend, she’s not my girlfriend, but we’re interested enough to spend more time with each other. Yet, at the same time, possibly, we’re keeping our options open.

This is exactly what I thought about dating.

And she further puts down the exact words for why I think the way I do about relationships and dating:

Everyone’s a little more scared of making that commitment into complete exclusivity.

It described my thoughts so well that I freaked out for a moment.

Ok, too tired now. Can barely keep eyes open. Am probably talking nonsense throughout this post. I would probably find most of it to be not accurate when I re-read it in the morning after some sleep. Take it with a pinch of salt. Bed.

Labels: , , ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

3 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Blogger shawn swa said...

I find that blog very interesting as well.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger A Girl said...

Hi tstar ... thanks for the support! And I'm glad to know i'm not the only woman out there going round in circles in her head thinking up imaginary things!

I suppose we're all endevouring to find a connection that's more real and humane than just 52kpbs :)

Do leave comments if you have any!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger A Girl said...

Ps. I do agree with ur friend - u are either boyfriend/girlfriend or you're not. There isn't an in-between. But that's why we go on dates - to suss out whether you want to make the commitment to being an exclusive couple.

I believe action speaks louder than words. If you're seeing each other every day, calling each other up at the end of a day, spending time with them doing the things they want to do even if you don't... then you know you're probably in a relationship. Even if you choose not to believe so;)

If you're doing your own thing, he calls sometimes, you call sometime, you go out for dinners, movies, but there's no obligation, then by my definition, you're still 'dating.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home