Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Back from temple

Just came back from the temple. Hope you all don't mind me talking a little about religion and my luck for next year.

Was told (by the deity?) that my luck won't turn for the better until June.
Sigh, I'm really tired already, still have to go through this torturous time for another 6 months.

Studies-wise, I was given some very practical advice. He said that I can't concentrate and forces myself to study when I can't absorb anymore, and advices me not to 读死书。Translated into English, it means something along the lines of "don't just memorize your material". But the overall meaning of his advice I feel that he's trying to tell me that it's very dependent on me.

Listened a lot to my father and aunt in the car talking about Taoism and Buddhism. I've always been interested in these 2 seemingly similar yet different religions, but for us it's really overlapping and both are one. I don't know if it matters whether I subscribe exclusively to one or the other, but perhaps it really don't, at least to me. Have always wanted to learn more about the praying practices of both Taoism and Buddhism and the reasonings behind them. This want stems from 2 sources - one, my own interest, two, the fear that these religions would die out with the older generation. There is so much learned, discovered and gathered over the years, centuries, that to lose all of this within a few decades would be a pity.

Tonight, my elders said something that made me ponder - does education really affect our views of religion to such an extent that it's detrimental? So that our belief has lessened, simply because we are very much trained to be like scientists, to only believe what we can see and proof. And simply because we do not experience certain things, because we cannot see certain things, we both unconsciously and consciously decide that they do not exist? Or if we believe that they exist, this "scientist" mindset has perhaps strongly reduced the belief?

The above is written with the idea of deities from Taoism and Buddhism in mind. I don't know how is it for the other religions simply because I do not understand them and I do not wish to generalize my feelings and thoughts about the educated who supposedly belong to Taoism or Buddhism, to all of the other educated in other religions. Also because I have the general idea that it is fairly common for people over several age groups, education level, ethnicities and religious beliefs to doubt the existence of deities in Taoism and Buddhism.

See how I lumped both Taoism and Buddhism together? I admit I don't quite differentiate between them because my family don't really differentiate between the two. I'm also one of those who hold doubts about the existence of deities. After listening to the talk of my elders tonight, however, some of that doubts might already be erased.

From the beginning, I may have expressed belief that religion is a purely subjective idea. Perhaps along the way I might have started expressing disbelief. However, whatever happens or have happened, I know I could never be an Atheist.

Labels: , , , ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home