Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Beauty

I can't believe it. There is actually a difference in the way guys treat ladies based on the way they are dressed or how they look.

Usually when I'm in my normal attire (read: shirt and shorts/skirt), backpack and pimply face, guys hardly notice me, much less give way to me. But for a total of 3 times when I'm nicely dressed (read: shirt and skirt, which is no different from my normal attire) and looking good (read: face mostly covered), I got treated darn nicely by random strangers. I think it's my face that's the problem.

Unfortunately, I remember what happened only on 2 of the occasions.

One of it was last year. I was dressed in a racer-back white shirt and this flow-y retro skirt. This guy obviously let me get off the bus first although I was just sitting there waiting for people to get off so I can follow. I mean, in the number of years I have taken the bus, nobody has ever so elaborately, purposely and so gentlemanly stopped in the middle of the aisle and let me get off. Ok, maybe I'm thinking too much. Maybe he saw me sitting there looking for a chance to get off for so long that he felt pitiful.

Then just last Sunday I was dressed in that red shirt that says "Tell me Again why I need a Boyfriend" (to which I can answer - I am desperate) and a blue denim skirt, complete with a pair of shades. I was walking towards the escalator from one direction and there was this other guy walking towards it too from the other direction such that we were facing each other. Although he was like 2 steps away from stepping onto it already and I still had another 7 - 10 steps left, he slowed his steps and, I don't know for what reason, let me get on the escalator first. I was so surprised that I mumbled a "thank you", nodded my head slightly and then stepped on. I was too embarrassed to look at him directly, so I could not know for sure if he had slowed down because of me or some other reason. His body language indicated that he had purposely slowed down to wait for me to get on, though. Hmm, maybe I was walking so fast that he was afraid we would collide so he slowed down and let me get on first.



Now all this sound like rubbish. In any case, make me a little happy today and let me believe its real - that when I have my face covered, I actually look decent.

Anyway it's true that people treat you differently when you are dressed differently. I've experienced it with shop assistants, female strangers, acquaintances. I'd like to say though, despite the effect the outer appearance can have on the behaviour of others towards you, your inner strength - confidence in yourself, the ability to express your thoughts and sincerity when dealing with others, these are the things that really matter in the end in your relationships with people.

I have been more confident in the past when dressed in weird looking clothes and looking out of sorts than now when dressed in relatively normal attire, simply because I had utter confidence in myself. I have had better relations with others in the past when I put much effort into treating others sincerely than now.

I once thought things would fall into place as long as you look pretty and good. In a way it's true, things do come your way, but in the end it takes a lot more substance to keep that good stuff.

I'd like to have my brains back please.

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Posts [Atom] or  Subscribe in a reader

6 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a little cliche, but beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder!

anyway, be careful when going up escalators, especially if you are wearing skirts, for obvious reasons..

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Chong Wenhoo said...

PLENTY of experiments in psychology to show the benefits of being pretty/shuai
if not, tall(man) or youthful(woman) also can.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger yuka said...

This is so true...
I always get very sh***y treatment from others when i'm in shorts and shirts, and no makeup.
That's why i try to make an effort with my dressing whenever i'm outside. I guess since we tend to judge from what we see, it's not surprising that some treat us nicer when we dress up.
By the way, what do you mean by covering your face? I can't imagine you walking around covering your face...

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger tstar said...

anonymous: haha, but that phrase is so utterly true!

will keep your reminder in mind (haha), thanks!

chong wenhoo: i've done a lab/expt on beauty, associated intelligence and attraction and read some lit on that... agree with you...

snowbiscuits: coz first impressions still do count, and strangers/sales assistants only know us from the first few glances, so an impression is already formed using our social expectancies and all that... can't really blame lah i guess, we all do that.

oh i remember when ridzuan once said he was dressed poorly then went into a shop and gave his name card with "CEO" printed on it to the sales assistant and saw the look on his face change or something like that!

haha, only the 2nd time my face was kind of covered. was wearing shades, so covered my eyes and brows and part of the cheeks... though I think if i wore a paper bag so everything is covered, everybody will let me walk past first... coz too weird.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't there some theory in psychology about self-reinforcing loops?

I'm not too sure about the terminology, but I think if one keeps on telling one's self that s/he is ugly, one will ultimately believe in it, and outwardly, it will show.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger tstar said...

i remember studying something like that, but i don't remember exactly what is it called. =(

perhaps something like a loop, as u said. we focus on an aspect, for instance a pimple or a nasty incident with people, we form an assumption/mindset, then we start picking out ideas in the environment coz of this mindset and these instances in turn reinforces our initial mindset.

think it is time to be more serious in my work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home